Wednesday 25 April 2012

How do you write? The time, space, support continuum

An extract from The New Author

You’ve made the decision to write. So when, where and how are you going to do it? Here are some characteristic approaches.

The Hemingway - tortured author, tapping away on a typewriter in a mountain retreat. Wild hair, scant meals, sleep-deprived, continuously slightly drunk and chain-smoking.

The Media Junkie – listening to fast music on iPod or laptop, oblivious of the surroundings which might be a cafĂ©, train, family TV room or workplace. Laptop has ten windows open for ‘research’ including email, twitter, facebook and Wikipedia.

The Midnight Oil – when the house is quiet and everyone else’s day is over, this one is just starting work. Typing through the tiredness and pain barrier. Pulling together the inspiration of observations and events from the preceding daylight hours. Pausing to reflect upon the words written, listening to the drip of the bathroom tap, the hum of a transformer in some electrical apparatus somewhere in the house.

The Peacemaker – a scented candle, Buddha Bar on the music system. Pilates exercises performed with control and precision, establishing the inner core. Elsewhere in the house family rampage at a safe distance, out of earshot. Writing flows from the spirit. Characters talk aloud and their dialogue falls upon the keyboard. 

The Early Bird – rising at the hour of milkmen from yesteryear, moving from bedroom to study and pushing the door firmly shut. Chapters formulated subconsciously during sleep are thrown onto the page to be edited during some lull in the day. As the family stirs, heading off to the bathroom and using time under the shower to think a way out of the present predicament of the main character.

What do you think of these approaches? I’ve tried them all at different times over the years. Any consistent method can be productive, providing you ring-fence the time and space. That needs support and understanding from the other people in your life. They need to understand and appreciate your needs as a writer.

The above post is an extract from The New Author, a non-fiction self help guide for writers, social media marketers and self-publishers. Available in paperback and various ebook formats through a wide range of internet stores including Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords et al (see Ruby's Shop for full details).








If you've enjoyed reading Ruby's blog then please sign up to Ruby's News for freebies, advance review copies of upcoming novels and occasional updates. Thanks!
 

28 comments:

  1. These are all interesting and useful approaches. I would say I'm definitely a subscriber to the Midnight Oil approach myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm marathon man when it comes to writing. I start when the spirit moves me and don't stop until the body fails me. I think I'm motivated that way because I was delayed getting started until 67 years old and feel that I might die before I flush it all out of me ("it" including countless stories that I've been telling friends and family all my life while they keep telling me to sit down and write - well, I finally am)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Midnight Oil Approach for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Melissa, I definitely find my writing changes depending upon the time of day. Midnight Oil gives me darkness. The Early Bird gives me fresh humour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rhonda, what sort of stuff are you writing in the wee small hours of witching darkness?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to be the Early Bird who washes off the Midnight Oil. Up all night, fall asleep for a couple and up before the milkman remembers where the bottles are to be delivered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ey, you still have milkmen where you live? Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. midnight oil for me, but there seems something so hauntingly romantic about the hemingway approach. kinda sad but a true artist. Found your site through the list in the making connections group on goodreads and am following you! Hope you will check out my blog as well!
    Have a great day!
    -Amanda
    http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda, I agree. The whole tortured author thing has an appeal.
    I've visited your blog. Love the whole shmandarinorange thing. Makes me want to give you a squeeze!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if I should feel bad about being a Media Junkie or not! It's like I can't even write on a notebook anymore. Notebooks don't have tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always an Early Bird, but Peacemaker core and Hemingway hair...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Lissete, I know exactly what you mean. Getting to the point where I can't write unless I'm disconnected from the web. Then I always find a 'need' for research and have to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Caroline, there's an idea. A composite writer. I'm with you on the Hemingway hair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m an early bird on weekends and holidays; I hate going to work as I feel it’s a waste of my time.

    I would rather be banging away at the keyboard instead of going to my unsatisfying day job. But if I didn’t go I wouldn’t be able to pay the bills.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a Hemingway without the alcohol ;) Definitely have the hair and the tortured thing going on, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it possible to be a Hemingway without alcohol? Might try that :-]

      Delete
  16. Ruby,

    I've done all of these except Hemingway and Peacemaker. I write in the bathtub, the subway, the classroom, generally like Midnight Oil or Early Bird conditions, and type it up/revise under Media Junkie conditions.

    Cool article. But the twelve vulgar days of Christmas is still my favorite of yours.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! I'm a Midnight Oiler these days.
      Yep, I think I'll repost the WTF The Baptists Profane Twelve Days of Christmas and run it through Triberr for some airtime ;-)

      Delete
  17. I definitely lean towards the Hemingway, all I need is the mountain retreat. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francene! Mountain retreats get a little cold this time of year ;-)

      Delete
  18. I am probably a mixture of 2,3,and 5 right now. Though I have been a 1 on some occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RJ. I'm a 3 at the mo but maybe that'll change over the holiday?

      Delete
  19. Hemmingway sounds like fun, but I usually fall asleep after a few... Shocking even to myself, I most identify with the Peacemaker. Perhaps not quite as idyllic as described, but I work best during the day (let's say, office hours, heaven help me) when the kids are gone and there's relative quiet in the house (ignoring persistent meowing of demanding kitties.) Possible leaning towards Midnight Oil, from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're like Mrs R, Trish. She heads for the land of nod after a couple of bevvies. I'm more Midnight Oil these days but I feel a Peacemaker phase coming on as I've started to wake early. Who knows why these rhythms change?

      Delete
  20. Early Bird. Definitely. I've had entire chapters, especially endings whispered to me by main characters while sleeping. They know their stuff. I trust them.

    ReplyDelete