Friday 24 May 2013

Ruby Gets a Mention on Kobo Writing Life Blog

Thanks to Roz Morris for the mention in her guest post on the Kobo Writing Life blog
http://kobowritinglife.com/2013/05/24/music-for-telling-stories-the-undercover-soundtrack/

Roz's Undercover Soundtrack is a fascinating regular feature over on her site and I was a guest there a while back, talking about how the unlikely combination of Melody Gardot and Nick Cave inspired my serial killer characters in The Baptist - A Psychological Thriller.

The Baptist has had a couple of interesting new reviews recently on Amazon. It's a great feeling to get this sort of reception from readers:

True Noir by john1407
Dark and darker still at times. What surprised me was the humour - persistent and nimble - which gives the narrative a fresh-air lightness ( a great two line description of Crewe for instance). It ain't plain old grim. Intriguing throughout with new characters seamlessly worked in and a lack of predictability in the plot.
If you like first person (in the main) shorter chapters and revell in noir then this is a real gem.


Darkness and desire... by Tinka Dill
I have agonised over writing a review for this book, my words just don't seem to flow, I feel somehow inadequate for this task. The shadows of things unsaid and the impact of the things that are, memories and ghosts, fears and desires, darkness and light . . . This is quite a deep, and at times disturbing, tale with characters real enough to fall in love with. It is probably best for me to leave it there and let you dig deeper into it yourselves, you won't regret it. All that's left for me to say is - Thank you, Ruby Barnes, for writing the best book I have read in a long time!




No comments:

Post a Comment